Westchester Electrician offers Safety Tips for your home

Westchester Electrician offers Safety Tips for your home

Certified Electrician in Westchester passes on some SAFETY TIPS for your home:

The following dos and don’ts are everyday tips that will hopefully serve as
reminders of electrical safety basics that will help keep your home and family safe.

CORRECT WATTAGE

• Do check that every lamp in every fixture is the correct wattage. A lamp with wattage higher than recommended can overheat the fixture, wiring or any combustible materials that may be nearby.

FRAYED/CRACKED OR DAMAGED CORDS

• Don’t use an appliance of any kind that has a frayed, cracked or damaged in any way electrical cord. A damaged electrical cord may have exposed live wires that could be a shock or fire hazard.

OVERLOADING CORDS

• Don’t use any extension cord on a permanent basis. Additional outlets should be installed or appliances moved to avoid the need for extension cords.

CORDS IN TRAFFIC PATHS

• Don’t put any type of electrical cord where it will be stepped on. Don’t have furniture or a rug resting on a cord. Cords in a traffic path are a trip hazard. Cords also can be damaged when they are stepped on. Any heavy weight can damage a cord by crushing the insulation or breaking wire strands

WARM OUTLETS

• If a cord, plug or outlet feels warm to the touch, it may be overloaded and can be a fire hazard.

STAPLES ON CORDS

• Do remove any nails or wire staples used to tack down a cord. Nails and staples can tear or crush a cord’s insulation as well as cut the wires inside, creating a fire or shock hazard.

REPLACE OUTLETS

• Don’t use an outlet if an electrical plug doesn’t fit in snugly; these outlets should be replaced. Plugs that are loose-fitting can cause overheating and fire.

OVERLOADING CORDS

• Don’t use any extension cord on a permanent basis. Additional outlets should be installed or appliances moved to avoid the need for extension cords.

NEVER HAVE EXPOSED OUTLETS

• Do have faceplates covering the wiring on all outlets. Exposed wiring is a shock hazard for everyone.

SAFETY COVERS FOR CHILDREN

• Do cover all unused outlets with safety covers, especially if children are present. Children are naturally curious and often try to insert objects into outlets. This can result in the child suffering serious shock and burn injuries.

CORRECT SIZE FUSES

• Do periodically check the fuse box or circuit breaker box. It is important that the correct size fuses are used to prevent overheating. Circuit breakers need to be exercised to make sure they haven’t become stuck and are in good working order.

Effective Electric has been serving Westchester for over two decades, we are a fully licensed electrical contracting firm designed to meet all your wiring needs. Call Today for a free estimate! 914-737-2651

Web and Graphic Designer in Manassas, Gainesville